Tuition Protection Service - Higher Education

HELP Student Information

COVID-19 Information

The TPS understands that the current COVID-19 situation may be concerning for some students and providers. Providers and students are encouraged stay up-to-date on current advice, and consider flexible approaches to support the continuity of education and training delivery.

Information for students and providers about COVID-19 is available on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment's website.

Tuition Assurance and Provider Closures for HELP Students

'Tuition assurance' refers to the protections and assistance available to support FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP loans students, in the event that their private education provider stops delivering their course or closes entirely.

This page contains information about tuition assurance for HELP students at private providers. If you are a VSL student or provider, and would like information about tuition assurance, please visit the TPS VSL page.

If you are an international student or international education provider, and would like information about the Tuition Protection Service, please visit the International Student TPS Page.

New Tuition Protection Arrangements for HELP Students and Private HELP Providers from 1 January 2020

From 1 January 2020, the Australian Government is expanding the successful Tuition Protection Service (TPS) for international students to include similar protections for domestic students accessing HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan at a private education provider.

The new tuition protection arrangements will be sector-funded and underpinned by a sustainable provider levy framework. The levy framework - developed by the Australian Government Actuary - will cover the long-term costs of tuition assurance by requiring all non-exempt approved FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP providers to contribute annual levies commensurate with their size and risk.

In the event of a course or provider closure, HELP students will be supported to continue their studies in an equivalent course. Where continuation of study is not possible, students may be entitled to receive a loan re-credit for units of study commenced but not completed.

Further information on the new tuition protection arrangements will be available in early 2020.